Feel Like Giving Up on Something?
You're not alone.
Every human past or present has struggled with wanting to call it quits . . . whether it's over failure, embarrassment, loss of passion, or just sheer burn-out.
Unfortunately, when it comes to fighting the desire to quit, there's no perfect fix.
A Powerful Truth
There is, however, a powerful reality that you can reflect on . . . a truth that can make a world of difference:
Your feelings don't determine reality.
In fact, it's quite possible that you have no clue about how close you actually are to success. Reflect on this quote from the inventor of the light bulb, Thomas Edison (whom we all know didn't have instant success):
“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
I know it's hard, but you need to put one more foot in front of the other . . . that extra step could be all that's keeping you from achieving your goals.
You take that one extra step, and you're already exponentially more successful than millions of people who've come before you . . . now you're one of the brave few who kept on going when it seemed too hard.
What Do The Experts Have to Say About Perseverance?
When it comes to business, experts agree that a stubborn desire to not give up is the most crucial attribute for success. You might have all the talent in the world, but without tenacity and perseverance, you won't get very far.
Actions You Can Take
A practical step you can take is to read the stories and quotes of people who've been in the same exact place as you. As you take time to read about these successful individuals' stories of triumph, you may find their relentless determination being weaved into the fabric of your own life.
And so, without further ado, here are my top 50 inspiring quotes on perseverance (plus some fun, shareable graphics).
1. "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." —Thomas Edison
2. "Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." —Robert Collier
3. "The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people." —Randy Pausch
4. "You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it." —Maya Angelou
5. "The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones." —Confucious
6. "Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow." —Mary Anne Radmacher
7. "So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings." —J.R.R. Tolkien
8. "Real courage is when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what." —Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird)
9. "You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain." —Tom Hiddleston
10. "It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer." —Albert Einstein
11. "Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did." —Newt Gingrich
12. "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go." —William Feather
13. "A winner is just a loser who tried one more time." —George M. Moore, Jr.
14. "When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you … never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." —Harriet Beecher Stowe
15. "Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other." —Walter Elliot
16. "Let me tell you the secret that has led to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity." —Louis Pasteur
17. "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." —Winston Churchill
18. "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing." —Abraham Lincoln
19. "Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but through persistence." —Ovid
20. "The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." —Thomas Edison
21. “Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.” —J.R.R. Tolkien (The Hobbit)
22. It doesn’t matter how many times you get knocked down. All that matters is you get up one more time than you were knocked down.” —Roy Bennett
23. “What's the bravest thing you ever did? He spat in the road a bloody phlegm. Getting up this morning, he said.” —Cormac McCarthy, from The Road
24. "Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." —Dale Carnegie
25. “It’s probably my job to tell you life isn’t fair, but I figure you already know that. So instead, I’ll tell you that hope is precious, and you’re right not to give up.” —C.J. Redwine
26. “Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.” —Robert Strauss
27. “By perseverance the snail reached the ark.” —Charles H. Spurgeon
28. “It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives. It's what we do consistently.” —Tony Robbins
29. "Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak." —Thomas Carlyle
30. "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." —Calvin Coolidge
31. "If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." —Martin Luther King, Jr.
32. "Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before." —Jacob Riis
33. "If you are going through hell, keep going." —Winston Churchill
34. "I will persist until I succeed. Always will I take another step. If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another. In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult. I know that small attempts, repeated, will complete any undertaking." —Og Mandino
35. "When you have a great and difficult task, something perhaps almost impossible, if you only work a little at a time, every day a little, suddenly the work will finish itself." —Isak Dinesen
36. "Making your mark on the world is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. But it’s not. It takes patience, it takes commitment, and it comes with plenty of failure along the way. The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won’t. It’s whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere." —Barrack Obama
37. "Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th." —Julie Andrews
38. "If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." —Samuel Johnson
39. "You aren’t going to find anybody that’s going to be successful without making a sacrifice and without perseverance." —Lou Holtz
40. "To succeed, you must have tremendous perseverance, tremendous will. “I will drink the ocean,” says the persevering soul; “at my will mountains will crumble up.” Have that sort of energy, that sort of will; work hard, and you will reach the goal." —Swami Vivikananda
41. “If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying. “Here comes number seventy-one!” —Richard Devos
42. “One of the commonest mistakes and one of the costliest is thinking that success is due to some genius, some magic – something or other which we do not possess. Success is generally due to holding on, and failure to letting go. You decide to learn a language, study music, take a course of reading, train yourself physically. Will it be success or failure? It depends upon how much pluck and perseverance that word “decide” contains. The decision that nothing can overrule, the grip that nothing can detach will bring success. Remember the Chinese proverb, “With time and patience, the mulberry leaf becomes satin.” —Maltbie Babcock
43. “The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground.” —Author Unknown
44. "Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat." —F. Scott Fitzgerald
45. “What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight – it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” —Dwight Eisenhower
46. “He who would do some great thing in this short life, must apply himself to the work with such a concentration of his forces as to the idle spectators, who live only to amuse themselves, looks like insanity.” —John Foster
47. “He conquers who endures.” —Persius
48. “Perseverance, secret of all triumphs.” —Victor Hugo
49. “What is grander than a country and more valuable than gold? Strength of heart.” —Cornelius E. Addison
50. “With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable” —Thomas F. Buxton
Did these quotes inspire you?
If so, let us know! We really hope they did.
Also we want to hear from you about what quotes in the past have helped you to persevere. Share in a quick comment below!
Check out our recent posts!